Delicious, vegetarian and/or vegan energy bar. These are perfect for a quick snack or, for Abbie, a quick on-the-run breakfast. Be sure to keep these in the refrigerator as they can spoil.
The recipe formula was created by Matt Frazier over at No Meat Athlete. His website has some examples to choose from and I have one below too. I’ll also go over the basics of the formula.
The formula = can of beans + binding agent + sweet soft fruit + sweetener + salt + oats + protein powder + tasty add-ins
Chocolate Energy Bar
- Can of chickpeas (rinsed)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 banana
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup hemp protein powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 1/4 cup water (if needed)
- Oven 350 degrees F
- Place foil on bottom of a 13 x 9 – inch pan
- In a food processor/blender, combine chickpeas, peanut butter, banana, maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl (if using a blender; keep in food processor if available). Stir in the cocoa, hemp protein powder, oats, and chocolate chips until blended. Add the water if the mixture isn’t spreadable.
- Pour and spread the contents evenly in the foiled pan.
- Cook for 15-18 minutes.
- Cool for about 30 minutes.
- Cut into 18-24 bars depending on preference